If you've purchased Slideshow design from Volusion (either as a separate package or part of the Elite or Prestige bundles), you can change the slideshow graphics and the pages linked from them.
Before you begin, you'll need to have your new graphics ready - JPG files with the same dimensions as the current slideshow images. A quick way to determine this is to open your homepage in the browser of your choice. Then:
- In Firefox, right-click the slideshow graphic and select View Image Info from the pop-up menu. Here, you'll find the dimensions and location of the slides.
- In Internet Explorer, right-click on the slideshow graphic currently displayed and select Properties from the pop-up menu. This will display the Properties windows, where you will find the dimensions and location of the slides.
- In Chrome or Safari, right-click on the slideshow graphic currently displayed and select Open image in new tab from the pop-up menu. The slide's dimensions will be shown on the tab and the address in the navigation bar.
The size should be similar to 766 x 400px, although the exact dimensions will depend on your template and design. It is important that these dimensions are kept the same. The location and name of the file will be:
Where www.yourvolusionstore.com is the URL for your store and yourtemplate is the name of your template.
You should save your new files on a local drive, naming them slide_01.jpg, slide_02.jpg, etc, depending on how many images are in your slideshow.
Replacing the images
- Using your FTP client (see Using Your Volusion FTP Account for more info), navigate to the directory described above.
- Rename the files currently in this directory that start with "slide_" to something like "OLD_slide_" in case you need to use them for future use.
- FTP your new files into this directory.
- Now refresh your storefront and the new images should appear. If not, try pressing <CTRL + F5> to force a hard refresh of your images.
Changing the links
If you need to change the URLs to which the images link, first make a list of the new URLs. The easiest way to do this is to open the required pages in turn and copy the addresses that appears in the Navigation Bar. As long as the pages are on your store's website, you only need the part of the URL after the domain name. For example, if it was "http://www.yourvolusionstore.com/swimsuits_s/5.htm" you would just need "/swimsuits_s/5.htm".
- Log in to your Admin Area and go to Design > Site Content.
- Find and click on ID #2.
- In the Article Body field, you'll see a block of code similar to the following:
["/Config_ImagesFolder/homepage/slide_01.jpg", "/cute_and_trendy_shirts_s/2.htm", "", ""], //slide 1
["/Config_ImagesFolder/homepage/slide_02.jpg", "/product_p/2058.htm", "", ""], //slide 2
["/Config_ImagesFolder/homepage/slide_03.jpg", "/SearchResults.asp?Search=trombone", "", ""], //slide 3
You should make a copy of this block of code and save as a text file somewhere safe.
- Replace the second part of each line of code (eg "/cute_and_trendy_shirts_s/2.htm") with the new destination URLs.
- Click Save when you have finished and reload your store to test each link.
For specific edits to your slides, or to add additional slides, the Volusion design team is available for custom hourly design services. Please contact Services Sales at 800.646.3517 to learn more.