Pinterest is one of the fastest growing social network site on the web, and is quickly becoming the most popular social bookmarking site for women. Users create boards, then pin things that interest or inspire them.
These "pins" then act as links directly back to the original website - say an online store's product page. If you haven't seen how some of the most successful brands in the world are using it, take a look.
To get started, go to pinterest.com and create an account. Once you've set up your account, you’re ready to start pinning!
Adding Pins to your board
- Go to your storefront, display the first product you want to pin, and click the Pin It button.
- A new browser window opens showing the images on the page. Click on the image you want to pin.
- A new window opens showing this image. Select the board you want to display this on and enter a description of up to 500 characters.* In addition to plain text, the following can be used:
- To display a price, prefix it with a dollar sign ($).
- To display a link, enter the full URL including the http:// prefix.
- You can also use hashtags (eg #shoes). Clicking on this will display the latest pins with this tag.
Congratulations, you’ve created your first pin!
*To create a new board, scroll to the bottom of the list, enter the name in the Create New Board field, and then click Create. You can then add the pin.
Using your board
Continue adding pins and creating boards. If you have a blog, or other pages to pin to the board you can do this if they have images. You can also pin pages from other websites – affiliates, friends, etc – enabling you to personalize your board as desired.
Also, don't just pin your own products – the Pin Etiquette guide says "Avoid Self Promotion." Pin things you think customers and potential customers will be interested in and also want to share. You should follow other boards - expanding your network will bring people beyond your customer base to your board, and then to your site!
It’s a good idea to create a personal Pinterest account (with a different email address) so that you can see what your page will look like to customers.
Put a "Follow me on Pinterest" badge on your site or in your emails
You’ll want to get people to follow your Pinterest boards, so log into your Pinterest account, and go to http://pinterest.com/about/goodies/. Scroll down to the "Follow Button" for Websites section where you’ll find a selection of buttons and the code for each button. Paste this code into your storefront header/footer, in your store’s Nav Menu Promotions or even into your promotional Newsletters!
Put the "Pin It" button on your product pages
If you have AddThis enabled, you'll find you already have the Pin It button available on your product pages. If you haven't enabled AddThis yet:
- Go to Inventory > Products.
- Select All Product Settings from the Settings dropdown.
- Select Enable Share Button.
- Click Save.