You may have noticed that USPS considers Puerto Rico to be domestic, and does not calculate international Live shipping rates for it. The instructions below will help you ensure your store is able to calculate USPS Live Rates for Puerto Rico.
Note: For other shipping carriers (such as UPS and FedEx), live rates need to be calculated with Puerto Rico as a country. This may cause display issues if you offer rates from multiple carriers. You may consider adding a note to your one-page-checkout.asp about the domestic/international carrier differences for Puerto Rico live rates. Otherwise, you may consider only offering live rates from USPS for Puerto Rico.
Adding Puerto Rico as a U.S. State
In order to get a USPS domestic Live rate for Puerto Rico, you must first add Puerto Rico as a U.S. State.
- Go to Settings > Shipping and click List All States under Shipping To.
- At the top of the States / Provinces page, click Add.
- Select  United States from the Country ID dropdown menu.
- Fill in the State Name (all capital letters) with PUERTO RICO and the State Code with PR.
- Click Save.
Applying USPS Shipping Method(s)
If you have selected individual States under the Apply this Shipping Method to section of your USPS shipping methods, then you will need to find and add Puerto Rico under Apply To States / Provinces. Otherwise, you can simply ensure that the United States (234) is listed in the Apply To Entire Countries.
- Go to Settings > Shipping and click the USPS tab under Choose Carrier.
- Click the Edit (pencil) icon beside your first active USPS shipping method.
- Under the Apply this Shipping Method To section, apply the shipping method to the United States (234), or add Puerto Rico to the Apply To States / Provinces section.
- Click Save when finished. Repeat these steps as necessary for all active USPS shipping methods.
You will also want to list Puerto Rico the country in the However, Do Not Apply to section of your USPS shipping methods so that USPS rates will only be calculated for the "state" of Puerto Rico.
Do Not Apply To for Non-USPS Shipping Method(s)
Whether or not you plan on offering non-USPS live rates for the country Puerto Rico, you will want to ensure that Puerto Rico is not available for domestic rates with other carriers.
- Under Choose Carrier, select the non-USPS tab for a carrier which has active, live rate shipping methods.
- Click the Edit icon beside your first active non-USPS shipping method.
- Expand the However, Do Not Apply to bar.
- In the DO NOT Apply to States / Provinces section, find and add United States > PUERTO RICO.
- Click Save when finished. Repeat these steps as necessary for all active non-USPS shipping methods.
Testing USPS Shipping Rates
To check that your store is ready to deliver USPS live rates for orders shipping to Puerto Rico, you should test them.
- In the Test Shipping Rates section at the bottom of the Settings > Shipping page, fill in the To: fields with test information for Puerto Rico as a state. (ex.: Country: "United States", State: "PR", Postal Code: "00901")
- Click Run Test.
- Scroll past the debugging code back to the bottom of the Shipping page. Click Show/Hide Debugging Information.
- If you see "Live Rate Returned" for USPS shipping methods, then that's all! If you see "Custom / Backup Rate Returned", then double-check the settings configured in the above sections.
Note on U.S. Virgin Islands
Similar steps must be taken to get USPS domestic live rates the U.S. Virgin Islands and all other territories which are considered "domestic" by the standards of the USPS.
Note on Shipping Address Format
If you're shipping to Puerto Rico with the USPS, there are addressing standards in place. Be sure that you are aware of these regulations to avoid additional cost or delayed shipments when fulfilling customer orders to Puerto Rico.