Taxes may not be the most exciting part of running a business, but they don’t have to be the most intimidating, either. You can configure your store to automatically process tax charges for various regions, states, and countries.
Using the Volusion Tax Page
The Tax page in your Admin Area is designed to simplify the process of configuring the basic elements of your store's tax settings.
To get started, log in to your Admin Area and go to Settings > Tax.
For US-Based Merchants
By default, all new US-based stores are configured to use Volusion Automatic Tax Feature. To add or update the tax rates configured:
- Go to Settings > Tax in the Admin Area.
- If you only charge a single tax and the rate looks correct, click Yes, Looks Good.
- If you want to change the tax rate for your store, click No, I’ll add a new rate and select your state.
- Note that some states are origin states and some are destination states. If your store is based in an origin state, be sure to enter the required zip code.
- For destination states, you only need to select the state from the drop-down menu.
- Be sure that the Enabled check box is selected, then click Add.
To create automatic tax rates for any additional states, click Add at the top of the page and choose a state from the drop-down menu.
For International-Based Merchants
- Click Settings.
- By default, tax will be set up for a store based in the United States. If your store is not based in the United States, be sure to select No for Are You Based in the United States?
- Once you select No, you’ll see 2 drop-down menus for configuring types of VAT and GST taxes, as well as tax on shipping. Choose your preferences, then click Save.
- Click Add at the top of the page.
- In the Region Country menu, select which country and state or province your business is based in.
- For Base Tax Title & Rate, set the tax rate title (the name of the tax as it will be displayed to your customers) and the actual tax rate to be charged.
- For users who have enabled VAT or GST taxes, additional tax rates settings will be configurable – Tax 2 and Tax 3. You can specifically configure these taxes to govern how VAT or other taxes will behave within your store.
- Click Save.
Your store will now begin charging tax based on the settings you've applied.
Need more information?
For additional tax settings and tips, see our article on Tax.