If you sell certain products that can only be ordered in large quantities, you can save time by setting them up as single products with options configured so it can only be purchased in large quantities.
An advantages of this method is that if you add or change the quantities (or price), you only have to change the options.
Setting Up the Quantity Option Category
Essentially, you'll need to create a series of product options that apply a quantity to the product being ordered. The first step is to create your initial product option category:
- In your Admin Area, go to Inventory > Options.
- Select Option Categories from the Filter menu, then click Add.
- Enter "Quantity to Order" or something similar in the Option Category Description field.
- Enter "1" in the Display Order field.
- Select the Required check box.
- Select Dropdown from the Display Type menu and click Save.
Creating your Quantity Options
Once the option category has been created, you can create options for each quantity your customers can purchase:
- Go to Inventory > Options, select Options from the Filter menu, and click Add.
- Enter "0" (zero) into the Price Diff field.
- Select the option category you just created from the Option Category menu.
- Enter the quantity you want the option to represented in the Option Description field (e.g. 12).
- Enter the respective product code(s) in the Apply To Product Codes field.
- Enter the same value from the Options Description field in the Display Order field.
- Select Use as Product Qty and click Save.
Once this process is complete, you can repeat the process to create additional quantity options. You will need to create an option for each quantity you wish to allow customers to purchase.
Using the Product Quantity Options
Once the quantity options are created and assigned to a product, the Use as Product Qty and Options Description setting per each product option will forward a specific quantity of their related product(s) to the shopping cart whenever a customer places an order for that product.
Note that this type of product option should not be used with products configured with child products and/or configured to use the multi-child add-to-cart function.
What the Customer Sees
Once the quantity option is set up, the product page shows a drop-down menu labeled Quantity to Order (or whatever you entered into the Option Category Description field).
The total for the bulk quantity will be displayed in the cart.
If you offer discounts on bulk purchases, add the discount per item in the Price Diff field. Note that the Quantity to Order drop-down will now show the discount per item rather than the total discount for the quantity so you may want to show the quantity totals in the description fields.
The cart, however, will show the discounted price for the bulk quantity.
Make sure the product is not already set up for quantity discounts, as the combination of two discounts may cause problems. See Setting up a Quantity Discount for more information.