If you sell products that are stored and shipped from a warehouse, you may need to configure your store with corresponding warehouse information to properly calculate shipping costs.
Warehouses essentially act as an appendix to your store's shipping calculations. Once an order is placed, the system checks to see if any of the products are assigned to warehouses. It then calculates shipping for the entire order based on the warehouse information.
Creating a Warehouse
To get started, go to Settings > Config Variables and follow these steps:
- Make sure the variable is active. To find it quickly, click Search and enter "Warehousing" in the Name field.
- Then go to Inventory > Warehouses.
- By default, there is no warehouse information pre-configured for your store, so you'll need to create an entry in the Warehouses table. Click Add near the top of the Warehouses page.
- Fill in the required information for each new warehouse you create (all fields are required).
Upload New Images
|ID||This is an auto-generated numerical value used to identify each warehouse rule.|
|Warehouse Name||This is the name of the warehouse as it will be reported in your Admin Area.|
|Country||Here, select the country the warehouse is based in.|
|State or Province||Enter the state or province the warehouse is located in. Note: This must be a state or province according to regional postal system specifications (e.g. The US and Canada are required to enter 2-character state/province codes such as CA for California or SK for Saskatchewan).|
|Postal Code||Enter the postal code for the warehouse's location in this field.|
Tips and Special Settings
Using Multiple Warehouses
With multiple warehouses, you can calculate shipping costs for products shipping from remote warehouses or order fulfillment centers. Please note that when calculating shipping for products configured with one or more warehouses, the system will always choose the first, accessible warehouse within the warehouse table that a product is configured for.
For example, a product configured to be able to ship from a warehouse in Montana (Warehouse ID 101) and from a warehouse in Florida (Warehouse ID 201) will always be shipped from Warehouse ID 101 (the lowest warehouse ID number).
Please keep this in mind when configuring product and warehouse settings. Due to this constraint, it is recommended that you assign only one warehouse to each product.
Products Assigned to Warehouses vs. Unassigned Products
In some cases, you may have products assigned to one or more warehouses and other products assigned to no warehouses. In these cases, if an order is placed containing a mixture of products assigned to and unassigned to warehouses, shipping will be calculated as follows:
- All products assigned to warehouses will have their shipping calculated based on the warehouse location and the shipping location provided for the order.
- Products unassigned to any warehouse will have their shipping calculated based on the origin address (configured under the Shipping tab) as you defined during your store's initial set-up.
- These shipping charges will then be added together for the shipping cost.
This can potentially cause customers to be overcharged or undercharged on shipping for certain products, so keep this in mind when configuring a product's warehouse and shipping options.
Product Locations in Warehouses
Warehouses can be rather large, which can cause complications when staff try to find products when they're ordered.
To address this issue, each product in your database contains a series of settings that can be used to assign a physical location to a product, which can then be display on order packing slips.
You can assign a warehouse location for a product as follows:
- From your Admin Area, go to Inventory > Products.
- Click on the ID of a product to edit it.
- In the product's settings page, go to the Advanced Info > Shipping tab.
- Edit the warehouse settings:
- Warehouse Location - Define a warehouse name.
- Aisle - Assign an aisle to the product.
- Bin - Define a bin number for the product.
- Custom - Enter any miscellaneous information for the product's warehouse location.
- Click Save when finished.
Viewing Product Locations
Once a location has been entered into a product's shipping section, it will automatically be displayed on the printable packing slip you can access within each order details page. Click on the Packing Slip link within the Quick Order Processing portion of an order's details page to view or print the order's packing slip.
Any warehouse information that has been programmed into any product on the order will be displayed.
Configuring warehouse options gives you greater access to manage your store if you ship items from a location outside of your business's physical address. Whether you're using warehouses or third-party fulfillment centers, Volusion lets you tailor your store to suit your needs.