If you're based in Australia, you'll be required to charge a Goods and Services Tax (GST) on most, if not all products in your store. This article shows how to configure your store to change GST on purchases made by your Australian-based customers.
The Tax Settings Page
If you haven't already configured your store's tax settings, you can create your initial tax rate or review your current tax settings by logging in to your Admin Area and going to Settings > Tax.
Follow these steps to configure GST for Australia:
- Click Settings at the top of the Tax page in your Admin Area.
- Select No next to Are You Based in the United States?
- Make your selection from the VAT & GST menu to choose how you wish to display GST to your customers. For example, if you want to show product prices on your store front with and without GST included for comparison, select Prices Inc GST and Exc GST.
- Click Add to set up a new tax record.
- If you need to configure separate tax rates for different Australian states, select your state name from the State/Province menu.* Otherwise, leave this menu at its default setting.
- Within the Tax Rates section enter a name for your store's GST rate into the first Tax Title text box (e.g. "Goods and Services Tax").
- Enter the tax rate in the Tax Percent field (e.g. enter "10" to apply a 10% tax rate) and select the option marked Tax rate for VAT/GST?
- Click Save when you're finished.
Note that if you need to configure additional tax settings for your store, click the Save & Add More button to save your initial tax settings and create additional tax records.
*Australian states are not configured by default. To add states:
- Go to Settings > Shipping and click List All States.
- Click Add at the top of the table.
- Select Australia from the Country ID dropdown and enter the required information for the state you want to add.
- Click Save and Add New from the Save drop-down menu to continue adding more states.
Displaying GST text
To change the text for how GST is displayed in product prices and on orders (for example, if you want it to say "including GST" instead of "inc GST"), see How to Change GST or VAT Display.