Offering a daily deal with our Deal of the Day feature is a great way to retain loyal customers and attract new ones. This guide will help you set up and manage all of your daily deals.
Enabling Deal of the Day
By default, the feature is turned off. Before a Deal of the Day page displays on your storefront, you must turn the feature on and configure some basic settings. To do so:
- Log in to your Admin Area and go to Marketing > Deal of the Day.
- Click the three-dot actions menu icon and select Deal of the Day Settings.
- In the Change All Deals of the Day Settings window, select the Enable Deal of the Day check box.
- If you want to display the stock status for applicable products, select Show Stock Status for Applicable Products.*
- Select the navigation menu in which you want to display the Deal of the Day link. If you prefer to only send links to the Deal of the Day page in emails or newsletters, you can leave this value as Hidden.
- If you want to change the text of the menu link to the Deal of the Day page, edit the Link Text field as you like.
- If you want to customize the message that displays on the Deal of the Day page when no deals are available or when the feature is turned off, edit the No Deals Message field as you like.
- Save your settings
If your store has the Immediate Publish option turned off, a check box displays in the settings window called Publish My Template After Saving. When you enable this check box, your changes will be published when you press the Save button. Your storefront Deal of the Day link won't display until you publish your changes.
*Applicable products are those with a value entered in the Stock Status field, and with the Do Not Allow Backorders check box enabled. You can find these settings in the Advanced Info section of the product edit page by clicking the Stock tab.
Creating a Deal
- At Marketing > Deal of the Day, click Add.
- Find the product you want to create a deal for by using the search field. Note that some products don't qualify for use with the feature. See the product restrictions list below for details.
- Enter the Deal Price.
- Enter the Headline for this deal. If you want to style the headline with HTML or graphics, click the HTML Editor icon at the left end of the toolbar above the field.
- Select either Product Description Short or Custom Description from the Description drop-down menu.
- If you select Product Description Short, the deal page will use the content in the field of the same name on the product edit page at Advanced Info > Product Descriptions.
- If you select Custom Description, you must enter a new description that applies only to the Deal of the Day page. You can use the HTML Editor here, too.
- Select beginning and end dates for the deal. Note that the times of the start and end dates are 12:00:00 AM and 11:59:59 PM, respectively. These times correspond to your store's time zone setting at Settings > Company. One you select the dates, the number of days scheduled for the deal displays in bold on the deal edit page.
- Click Save.
A product cannot be used, or will result in an invalid deal, if any of the following conditions apply:
- it has been deleted between the creation of the deal and the day the deal is scheduled to begin
- it has been configured with one or more child products
- the Parent Product Code field contains a value (Advanced Info > Misc)
- the Private Section Customer Only check box is selected (Advanced Info > Product Display)
- the Setup Price field contains a value (Advanced Info > Pricing)
- the Recurring Price field contains a value (Advanced Info > Pricing)
- the Hide Product check box is selected (Advanced Info > Product Display)
- the Hide Product When Out Of Stock check box is selected (Advanced Info > Product Display)
- the Min Qty field contains a value (Advanced Info > Misc)
- the Allow Price Edit check box is selected (Advanced Info > Misc)
- the AddtoCartBtn Replacement Text field contains text (Advanced Info > Product Display)
- the Enable Options Inventory Control check box is selected (Basic Info for products with options)
Additionally, please keep in mind that the Deal of the Day feature is not compatible with Members-Only Purchasing and Browsing settings.
Temporary products display in your Deal of the Day product search field regardless of their current status, and there are no restrictions against setting up deals using them. Please keep in mind, however, that if the Display Begin Date (Advanced Info > Product Display) is in the future, any deals using the product won't function correctly until that date arrives regardless of the deal's beginning date.
The Deal of the Day List
When you've created a deal, it displays at Marketing > Deal of the Day. Deals are automatically assigned an ID number that you can't edit.
You can edit and delete any deal from this location by clicking its associated ID number. If you change the settings of a product used with a deal that render it ineligible for the feature, you'll see a icon in the ID column.
If you see a message stating Deal of the Day is Disabled, click Enable? to turn the feature on again.
The Storefront Deals Page
From the storefront, visitors can access the deals page by clicking the Deal of the Day link in from the assigned navigation menu or by entering the following URL in their web browser address bars:
You can link to individual deals using the following URL:
In this case, n is the deal's ID number. When you access the deal page using a deal's ID number, that deal displays at the top of the list of active deals. Otherwise, active deals display in order of expiration date, with the soonest date first. If more than one active deal expires on the same day, the deal with the largest percentage of savings displays first. If the savings of more than one deal is also the same, they display alphabetically by product name.
If you've enabled social media features on your store, the Facebook Like and Share Buttons display for each deal so that visitors can post deals to their Facebook pages and other social media accounts.
When a visitor clicks a link to a deal, one of the following outcomes will occur:
|If the Deal is...||Then...|
|The deal displays at the top of the page, followed by all other active deals in default sort order.|
|Expired||The product image, current price, and link to the product page display at the top of the deal page, followed by all other active deals in default sort order.|
|Scheduled for the future||A message stating "Deal Not Found" displays at the top of the page, followed by all active deals in default sort order.|
|Invalid||A message stating "Deal Not Found" displays at the top of the page, followed by all active deals in default sort order.|
Buying A Deal Product
When a shopper clicks the Buy button on a deal, the soft shopping cart shows the deal product unless the product has options. If the product has options, the product page displays. The shopper must then choose the options, and then proceed to the shopping cart or continue shopping.
The Storefront Product Page for an Active Deal Product
For all active Deal of the Day products, the discount price and savings display beneath the regular price.
This means that shoppers who visit the page through paths other than the deal page are still entitled to the deal. The deal price also displays on the category pages of any category the product belongs to, and any search results pages the product appears on.
Editing the Deal of the Day Text
Most of the text elements on the deal page are page text items. You can edit them, therefore, by using the Storefront Editor, or by going to Design > Site Content > Page Text (from the Article Group menu) > Deal of the Day (from the Categories menu). Here, you can edit the page text using ID numbers 806 - 817 as appropriate.