Unexpected shipping costs can lead to abandoned carts, so offering flat rate shipping can be an appealing draw for customers since they know up front what to expect when it’s time to check out.
Setting Up Flat-Rate Shipping
Flat rate shipping applies a fixed shipping cost to an entire order. You can specify a minimum and maximum order cost or weight to determine if an order qualifies for a flat rate.
For example, you might want to offer a flat shipping charge of $5 for all orders over $100 for all US states:
- Go to Settings > Shipping.
- Click Add Rate next to the Flat Rates heading.
- In the Label field, enter a method name to display in the shipping method selection menu on the shopping cart page – something like "US orders over $100".
- In the Rate fields, enter "5" for the Base rate and leave Cost Per Lb blank.
- Under Qualifying Locations, make sure that only United States displays in the Include field.
- Under Qualifying Orders, you can set the lowest order price eligible for this rate. For this example, enter "100" in the Minimum field. If you were creating a flat rate for orders below a certain price, you would enter this price in the Maximum field.
- When you're done configuring your flat rate method, select the Active box to make it available for shoppers at checkout.
- Click Save.
Now any order placed with a value of $100 or more shipped within the United States will be eligible for a flat shipping rate of $5. This will appear in the shipping method selection menu on your shopping cart page.