Gift certificates are more popular than ever – they’re convenient, practical, and perfect for last-minute shoppers. They’re also a great way to issue store credit to customers. The guide below will show you how to configure electronic and print gift certificates for your store.
- How to Set Up Gift Certificates
- When a Customer Orders a Gift Certificate
- How to Assign a Customer Store Credit
- Gift Certificate Settings
- Tips and Special Settings
How to Set Up Gift Certificates
Your store is already configured to recognize the product code GFT as a gift certificate, but you'll need to create it before you can offer it on your storefront.
Before creating a gift certificate, make sure that the following settings are properly configured:
- Go to Settings > Config Variables.
- Perform a search for the term "gift".
- Make sure Enable Gift Certificates is selected. If it isn't, select it and save.
- Perform a search for the term "price".
- Make sure Enable Price Edit is selected. If it isn't, select it and save.
To create a gift certificate:
- Go to Inventory > Products.
- Click Add.
- Name your gift certificate whatever you'd like customers to see it as (usually "Gift Certificate").
- Give it the product code GFT. Note that no other product in your store should have this product code.
- In the Price field, enter "0.00" (the customer specifies the value of the certificate during the order process).
- In the Weight field, enter "0".
- Under Advanced Info > Misc, select Allow Price Edit.
- Enter any other product details you want to include, such as an image and description. For example, you can add text to let customers know they can select the value of their gift card after they choose a delivery method.
- Add the product to the appropriate Category(s). You may want to create a category specifically for Gift Certificates and add it to your main navigation menu or footer, so customers can easily find it.
- Click Save.
When a Customer Orders a Gift Certificate
The process for customers ordering gift certificates is as follows:
- A customer places the gift certificate in their shopping cart as they would any other product.
- The customer is asked whether they want an electronic gift certificate delivered via email or a printed one delivered by mail.
- Next, the customer enters their gift certificate details.
- The certificate value
- The number of certificates they want to order
- Gift certificate recipient’s name
- Gift certificate sender’s name
- A brief message
- delivery email address (appears for email gift certificates only)
When finished, the customer can continue shopping or proceed to checkout.
Once a gift certificate is ordered, it will be listed within the Gift Certificates table in your Admin Area. See Gift Certificate Settings below for details.
When the order is received, you’ll process the certificate automatically from the corresponding order's details page by completing the order.
Electronic gift certificates will be issued automatically via email once you click Complete Order. Printed gift certificates need to be manually printed from a link on the Admin Area order details page.
How to Resend the Gift Certificate Email
If a customer needs the Gift Certificate email to be resent to the recipient, you can go to Orders > Process Orders and open the gift certificate order. Under the Print links on the order, select Gift Certificates from the Email drop-down and click Resend.
How to Assign a Customer Store Credit
To issue store credit to a customer through a Gift Certificate:
- Go to Orders > Process Orders.
- Click the ID of the order to be refunded.
- In the order's details page, under Payments & Credits, locate the Choose Payment menu and select Issue Store Credit / Gift Certificate.
- Enter an amount, name, message, and email address for the gift certificate to be sent to.
- You can send the gift certificate by email immediately, as well as mark the gift certificate For RMA if necessary.
- Click Apply Credit.
The new gift certificate will be created and loaded into the order's details page.
From here, you can view the status of the gift certificate and generate a printed version of the certificate (if the customer has requested a paper certificate). Click on the gift certificate's ID to view the certificate's settings within the Gift Certificates page.
Gift Certificate Settings
Once a gift certificate is created, you can view or modify it on the Gift Certificates page in Marketing > Gift Certificates.
To edit a gift certificate, click a Gift Certificate ID.
The date the certificate was created.
The automatically generated ID for the gift certificate.
The initial value of the certificate.
Generated By Order ID*
The ID of the order the certificate was generated on.
Gift Amount Left*
For gift certificates that have been partially redeemed, this field will display the balance left on the certificate.
This box, when selected, will activate the gift certificate.
Assigned To Customer ID
The ID of the customer for whom the certificate was created.
Tips and Special Settings
Since gift certificates are a substitute for cash or credit, it's unlikely you will need to charge tax on them. Be sure to check the GFT product's settings to verify that it is set as tax free.
How to Order Gift Certificates from the Phone Orders Page
Due to the special nature of the gift certificate product, you'll need to use the Go Shopping feature on the Phone Orders page to add a gift certificate to a phone order.
Gift Certificates and Coupons
Note that Gift Certificates cannot be purchased with a coupon or discount.