Depending on your type of business, you may want customers to agree to your company terms and conditions before they can check out. In this article, we’ll create a custom check box for the checkout page and show you how to create a link to your store’s Terms and Conditions page.
Creating a Terms and Conditions Custom Field
To get started, go to Settings > Custom Fields in your Admin Area and follow these steps:
- Click Add.
- Select Orders from the Table Name menu.
- Enter “Terms” or something similar in the Alias field – the alias won’t be visible on your storefront.
- In the Question field, write the text as you want it to appear on the checkout page (e.g. “I agree to all terms of purchase”).*
- If you'd like to create a link to your Terms and Conditions page that opens in a new browser window, you can enter the following into the Question Subtext field*:
Read our <a href="/terms.asp"target="_blank">terms and conditions</a>.
- Choose Checkbox from the Input Type menu.
- Enter any numeric value into the Input Max Length field (for example, "1"). It's a required field, but it has no impact on the Checkbox Input Type.
- If you want this to be a required field for customers to complete before they can check out, enable the Is Required option.
- Enable the Is Public option so the field will be visible to customers on your storefront.
- Click Save.
* While the Question Subtext field supports HTML, the Question field does not. The following characters are not valid in the Question field, and may cause errors at checkout: " > < ; '
Your custom field is all set up, complete with a link to your Terms and Conditions page. To edit the default text on your Terms and Conditions page, see How to Update Your Store's Informational Pages.