The Social page lets you post directly to Twitter and Facebook from within your store. You can send any kind of message to these networks, particular if you want to promote products or categories, as you can search, find, and add links without leaving the Social page. Bit.ly is used to create the shortest URLs possible for these links.
These procedures assume you have already created Twitter and Facebook accounts for your store.
You can post from the Social page in the Admin Area, or, if you want to post about a specific category or product, from the actual category or product page.
Connecting Your Social Media Accounts
To connect to Facebook:
- Go to Marketing > Social.
- Click the Sign In link to the right of the Facebook logo.
- In the Facebook pop-up window, enter your email address and password into the appropriate fields, then click Log In.
- Click Okay to let the Volusion Social app access your Facebook profile.
- Use the drop-down menu to select who can see Facebook updates that are posted from within your store's Admin Area. Click Okay.
- Click Okay to let the Volusion Social app submit posts to your Facebook wall.
- If you have a Facebook business page as well as a personal page, select the page you want your social updates to post to. Click Continue.
You'll see a confirmation message when your Facebook account is successfully connected.
To connect to Twitter:
- Go to Marketing > Social.
- Click the Sign In link to the right of the Twitter logo.
- Enter your email address and password into the appropriate fields, then click Authorize App. Note: If you're already logged in to Twitter, you'll just see an Authorize App button.
You'll see a confirmation message when your Twitter account is successfully connected.
Posting From the Social Page
When you post from the Social page, you can select multiple categories or products to include in the post, or you can create posts that don't mention specific categories or products.
- Decide which social networks you want to post your message to. If want to post to just one of the networks, and you have both selected, clear the appropriate check box to temporarily disconnect it.
- Enter your message.
- If you want to include links to products or categories, click the appropriate button beneath the message box to open the Product or Categories display.
- To select a product:
- By default, products are listed by product name. To display by Product Code, click View Products by Code. To return to Product Names, click View Products by Name.
- Either scroll down to search for a product, or start typing the product name in the search field.
- Select the product you want to include.
- To select a category:
- By default, categories are listed by category name. If you want to display them by Category Code, click View Categories by Code. To return to Category Names, click View Categories by Name.
- Either scroll down to search for a category, or start typing the category name in the search field.
- Select the category you want to include.
When you select a product or category, its URL will displayed in the field at the bottom.
- Once you've selected a product or category, click Add; this converts the product or category URL into a shortened bit.ly link and inserts it at the end of your comments. You can add as many URLs to your comments as needed (or as space will allow, in the case of Twitter).
- Click Submit to post your message to the selected social network(s).
Note on Facebook Account Type
In order to successfully log in to your Facebook Business page and post from your Admin Area, the Facebook Business page must have been created from a personal Facebook account. If your Facebook Business page was not created from a personal account, you will encounter an error when attempting to log in at Marketing > Social.
Posting From a Category or Product page
Posting a message from category and product pages is similar to the process described above, except you can only post a link to the specific category or product page from which you clicked Share. The category or product link will automatically display in the message window when launched.
To launch the Share pop-up, go to the product or category page and click the Share button.
When you add a product link to a Facebook post, the product’s medium (-2T) image will display in the post. When you add a category link to your Facebook post, the category’s primary banner image displays in the post. Note that product images are unsupported for Twitter posts.